Get the code
’Bots of the Big Screen
Much to the chagrin of robots’ rights advocates, robotic characters historically have been portrayed in one of a few familiar character roles. From the seductive Fembots of Austin Powers to the evil killing machines in the Terminator series, movies have continuously characterised its robotic protagonists into specific archetypes.
The Seductress. So easy, even a robot could do it? The most scintillating movie robots are the ones that push our buttons, programmed in the science of human seduction.
• Lisa from Weird Science (1985)
• The Fembots from Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
• Stepford Wives from The Stepford Wives (1975, 2004)
The Destroyer. Evil twins, assassins from the future and super-criminals: these bots are concerned only with reeking pure havoc.
• Terminator, T-1000, and T-X from the Terminator series (1984, 1991, 2003)
• Evil Maria from Metropolis (1927)
• Mechagodzilla from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974, 1993)
The Saviour. When preserving the future of the world is no job for mere mortals, we count on the machines to do our dirty work. Can your Droid phone do that?
• Robocop from the Robocop series (1987, 1990, 1993)
• Optimus Prime from the Transformers series (2007, 2009, 2011)
• Gort from Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Woe-bot. Bless their poor little hardwired souls. These hopeless robo-mantics are just like us flesh-and-blood types: looking for a little love.
• Wall-E from Wall-E (2008)
• Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz (1939)
• Data from Star Trek: Generations (1994), First Contact (1996), Insurrection (1998), and Nemesis (2002)
The Pinocchio Complex. “I’m a real boy!” Sorry, friend, but it turns out you’re not. No matter how hard they try, these bots just don’t quite fit in with the humans.
• David Swinton from A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
• Rick Deckard from Blade Runner (1982)
• Johnny 5 from Short Circuit (1986, 1988)
• HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
The Lovable Sidekick. Sure, they sometimes get in the way, but we just can’t imagine life in the future without these flighty bot-friends.
• C3PO from the Star Wars series (1977,1980, 1983, 1999, 2002, 2005)
• Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet (1956)
• Buzz Lightyear from the Toy Story series (1995, 1999, 2010)
• Crow T. Robot, Tom Servo, and Gypsy from Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996)
The Humble Handybot. The unsung heroes of robot cinema, our loyal handybots are always there to perform crucial repairs when we need them most.
• R2D2 from the Star Wars series (1977, 1980, 1983, 1999, 2002, 2005)
• Rosie the Maid from The Jetsons series (1962)
• Jarvis from the Iron Man series (2008, 2010, 2013)
Your bio is currently empty. Now is a great time to fill in your profile.
This profile is private.
This profile is only shared with friends.
This profile is under review.
We were unable to request friendship with this user.
We were unable to request friendship with this user. Are you logged in?
Your friendship request has been sent to this user.
We were unable to terminate friendship with this user.
We were unable to terminate friendship with this user. Are you logged in?
You are no longer friends with this user.
We were unable to ignore this user.
We were unable to ignore this user. Are you logged in?
This user is now ignored.
We were unable to stop ignoring this user.
We were unable to stop ignoring this user. Are you logged in?
This user is no longer ignored.
We encountered a problem recommending this user.
You have recommended this user.
Please limit your comment length to less than 2000 characters.
What Do You Think?
Thanks for submitting your comment. It will appear after editor approval.
We were unable to post your comment to Twitter.
We were unable to post your comment to Facebook.
We were unable to post your comment to LinkedIn.
We restrict rapid posting of multiple comments for quality reasons. You have already posted a comment within the last several seconds. Please try again later.
We limit the number of comments, reviews, and postings an individual user can submit over a given period for quality reasons. You have currently reached that limit. Please try resubmitting your comment again later.
We are unable to add your comment at this time.
We are unable to add your comment. Are you logged in?
We will not add your comment until you remove the following words: .
We're sorry, but the comment you are replying to has been removed from the site.
Please let us know what you think.
Please shorten your comment to characters.
characters left character left characters must be removed character must be removed
To leave a comment, you need to sign up.
4:47 PM on 10/07/2013
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Peter. Show DetailsHide Details
This comment is hidden because you have submitted an abuse report against it. Show DetailsHide Details
what no Marvin ???
Write a reply
We're sorry. We were unable to report abuse at this time.
We limit the number of reactions an individual user can submit over a given period for quality reasons. You have currently reached that limit. Please try resubmitting your abuse report again later.
Comment is too long. Enter 500 characters or less.
You may send this to 5 e-mail addresses. Please separate each address with a space.
We're sorry, but the item you are sending has been removed from the site.
We're sorry. We were unable to send the email at this time.
Please specify a recipient.
You can only send messages to 5 addresses at a time.
The address "" is not valid.
Please specify a subject.
Score vote upvotes up vote downvotes down
Call us on 0800 422 0060
Or use the quote button below
Get a life quote
© Copyright 2008 - 2014 Confused.com. All rights reserved.
3rd Floor, Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road,
Confused.com is a trading name of Inspop.com Ltd and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority