Skip navigation

Home insurance accidental damage explained

golf ball accident in houseAccidents will happen – but what’s covered under accidental damage on your home insurance?

Most of us take good care of our homes. But as Elvis Costello sang in his classic ode to the importance of home insurance: "accidents will happen". And what better reason to make sure that you’re adequately covered? After all, who would want to shell out for a new carpet after knocking over a glass of red wine?

But what exactly constitutes accidental damage in buildings and contents insurance policies? Our basic guide covers the main inclusions and exceptions.

What is accidental damage?

The definition of accidental damage is pretty uniform across home insurance policies: damage that occurs suddenly as a result of an unexpected and non-deliberate external action. In layman’s terms, that usually means an unintentional one-off incident that harms your property or its contents.

So, general wear and tear or damage that occurs gradually will be excluded. You also won’t be covered for mechanical failure. A computer that just gives up the ghost can’t be claimed for, but it would be covered if it smashed after you accidentally dropped it onto the floor.

Claims caused by children

Young children are the cause of many home insurance claims; and even if you don’t have offspring yourself, a lot of accidental damage is created by visiting kids. Incidents involving home entertainment equipment (for example if a toddler manages to topple your TV) are often covered under standard contents insurance policies – though it’s always a good idea to examine the small print of your particular policy to make sure.

Extending the accidental damage cover will protect most other items in your home, so you may be able to claim for fruit juice split over your curtains, or a felt-tip masterpiece drawn on your sofa. Common home insurance policy exclusions are portable electrical equipment, and clothing: so keep sticky fingers away from your laptop and favorite designer jeans and, again, check your policy wording.

Animal-related accidents

Many home insurance providers will not cover for damage caused by chewing, tearing, scratching or fouling by animals. This provision is the same pretty much across the board and few contents insurance policies will cover for pets. Sorry animal lovers: Rover needs to be fully house-trained before he’s allowed near any expensive furniture.

Several home insurance providers will not cover for damage caused by insects, vermin or infestation. Squirrels are specifically excluded from the vermin classification of a few home insurance policies; so if your doorframe has been gnawed away, you need to cross your fingers that the culprits have bushy tails.

DIY damage

Checking your home insurance policy conditions before undertaking any work is always a good idea. You may need protection under both buildings and contents policies, depending on the particular job. If you’re unsure of the difference between buildings and contents insurance, take a look at our guides on buildings and contents insurance explained. Be aware that some plumbing and electrical work will not be covered if it’s completed by an amateur.

As a general rule, if you’re not really sure what you’re doing, it’s best to avoid an accidental damage claim altogether by getting a professional in. For more DIY advice, see our guide on how to stay safe and protected whilst doing up your home.

Claims for common accidents, such as bursting a water pipe with an ill-placed nail will usually be accepted. Be careful, though, when you’re clearing up the mess that you’ve created; damage caused by cleaning is excluded from several home insurance policies.

As the details of accidental damage cover are not always consistent between home insurance providers, it’s wise to familiarise yourself with the details before committing to a home insurance policy to ensure that you get the cover you need. At, we’re devoted to finding you the most suitable buildings and contents insurance so that accidents don’t lead to disaster.

Compare home insurance - you could find a great deal in minutes Get a home quote



Get a FREE BRIAN toy when you buy home insurance (Ts&Cs apply).

Home Insurance

Owe Carter

Owe Carter

Owe Carter has been a consumer interest writer for since 2007. His career as a scribe began in local press, which saw him hunting ghosts, taking challenges from readers, living as B.A. Baracus for a week, and seeking out Pembrokeshire’s happiest dog.

Twitter: @ConfusedOwe
View more from Owe

Most popular articles

Got a home insurance question?

See all related questions
Home Insurance FAQ