With spring and milder weather hopefully just a few weeks away, many of Britain’s dedicated caravanners are thinking about where to head off to when their vehicles emerge from winter storage.
So if you’re thinking of booking up, now is a good time to start researching so you get the best pitches. To help, we’ve produced a round-up of 10 of the UK’s very best caravan sites for you to choose from.
1. Low Wray, Cumbria
Run by the National Trust, this Lakeland site gives you the chance to watch the sun rise over Windermere, and indulge your love of walking.
There are also yurts and tipis to stay in.
· Low Wray National Trust Campsite, Low Wray, Ambleside, Cumbria, (015394 32810).
Open 23 March to 31October.
Tariff: From £8 to £10 a night, plus booking fee.
2. Vale of Pickering Caravan Park, North Yorkshire
A great site for families, with excellent facilities. Close to the North Yorkshire Moors and the likes of Scarborough and Whitby on the east coast.
· Vale of Pickering Caravan Park, Carr House Farm, Allerston, Pickering, North Yorkshire (01723 859280)
Open from 4 March for rest of year.
Tariff: From £15.50 a night (low season) to £26 (at Christmas and New Year).
3. Invercauld Caravan Club Site, Aberdeenshire
At the eastern end of the Cairngorms, this site near Braemar is a great destination for ramblers and nature lovers. Red deer roam the local fields, and you may well spot badgers, red squirrels and golden eagles.
· Invercauld Caravan Club Site, Glenshee Road, Braemar, Aberdeenshire (01339 741373).
Open until 17 October.
Tariff: From £13.50 to £20.40 a night for two adults.
4. Three Cliffs Bay, Gower
On a cliff top on the Gower Peninsula in South Wales, this site is just five minutes’ walk from the beach. There’s a wide range of local activities such as water skiing, sailing and windsurfing, as well as half a dozen 18-hole golf courses within a few miles.
· Three Cliffs Bay Caravan and Camping Site, North Hills Farm, Penmaen, Swansea, Gower (bookings must be made by phone: 01792 371218).
Open from April to October.
Tariff: site with awning £23 a night.
5. Glenbrittle Campsite, Isle of Skye
Wild camping at its best, with a few creature comforts for those who really can’t do without. Stunning scenery and sunrises – ideal if you want to get away from it all.
· Glenbrittle Campsite, Glenbrittle, Carbost, Isle Of Skye (01478 640404).
Open 1 April to 30 September.
Tariff: £6.40 a night per adult, plus £5 for electric hook-up.
6. Beddgelert Caravan Park, Snowdonia
A forest retreat within walking distance of Snowdon itself. Great for kids too, with a children’s play area.
· Beddgelert Caravan Park, Heart of Snowdonia, Beddgelert, Gwynedd (01766 890288).
Open all year
Tariff: From £13.50 to £23.50 a night.
7. Bay View Farm, Cornwall
You can hear as well as see the sea from this stunning site overlooking Looe Bay in Cornwall.
As well as the views and local beaches, animal lovers will enjoy the owners’ shire horses, as well as the nearby monkey sanctuary.
· Bay View Farm, St Martins, Looe, Cornwall (01503 265922).
Open all year.
Tariff: £10 to £20 a night, plus £3 electric hook-up.
8. Burford Caravan Club Site, Oxfordshire
Spacious site in the Cotswolds, very near to the Cotswold Wildlife Park.
· Burford Caravan Club Site, Bradwell Grove, Burford, Oxfordshire (01993 823080).
Open from 25 March to 7 November.
Tariff: From £16.30 to £22.40 a night for two adults.
9. Lonely Farm, Suffolk
An adults-only site in an idyllic part of East Anglia. Great for cycling, and lots of local highlights such as the RSPB reserve at Minsmere, and the seaside town of Aldeburgh – the home of arguably Britain’s finest fish and chips.
· Lonely Farm, Carlton, Saxmundham, Suffolk (01728 663416 – bookings by phone only).
Open Easter to October.
Tariff: £14 a night.
10. Cedar Gables, Kent
Small, quiet site with good facilities. Nearby Bewl Water is ideal for walking, cycling, fishing and sailing, and close to several National Trust properties.
· Cedar Gables, Hastings Road, Wadhurst, Kent (01892 890566).
Open all year.
Tariff: Pitches between £8 and £20 a night depending on size; adults £1 a night; electric hook-up £3 a night.
Compare caravan insurance - you could find a great deal in minutes Get a caravan quote