Insurance for drink-driver convictions
Driving while under the influence of alcohol is a very serious offence. If you're found guilty you could be handed the following penalties:
- Penalty points
- A driving ban of at least 12 months
- A fine of up to £5000
- Depending on how serious the offence, a prison sentence
If you have been convicted of drink-driving and you’ve come to the end of your driving ban, you may be thinking about getting back on the road.
Things to consider
Before you start looking for car insurance, there are few things you should consider:
- Generally, insurers dislike drink-driving convictions
- Some insurers may refuse to insure convicted drink-drivers
- For those insurers who do quote a policy, the premiums offered may be higher as insurers will see you as a greater risk
- Drink-drivers may see their premium increase as much as 115% per year
Your conviction isn’t the only factor insurers will consider when calculating your premium. Your age, location, type of car and driving history are all factors considered.
If you own a car which sits in a higher insurance group, you might want to consider changing your car to one which sits in a lower group, it may help reduce your premium.
Drink-driving convictions aside, if you believe you're a safe driver, you might want to consider a telematics policy. Telematics insurance policies offer a personalised price based on how and when you drive. It involves having a small black box fitted to your car, which measures how well you drive and provides feedback to help you improve your driving.
If you're ready to get back on the road then click the 'Get a quote' button above. If you'd like more information before getting a quote, take a look at our guide 'Drink driving - what you need to know'.